Friday, January 9, 2009

Freeze Frame

The human mind simply amazes me.

Somehow it captures certain moments, and we end up with a Freeze Frame. We have the ability to reach and grab certain moments...yet other moments are simply gone.

Perhaps by now if there is one thing you have learned of AirmanMom, it is her love of music. Yep, I probably have a song attached to a gazillion memories. I remember dancing in my folks living room when I was a teen to a song titled, 'Long Haired Lover From Liverpool' I remember crying and singing 'You Are My Sunshine' when my oldest daughter was two weeks old (I felt she was growing up too fast)and then again over the telephone when she was in India and had just been hit by a car. I can't help but think of the song 'The Rose' by Bette Midler when I think of my beautiful baby girl, Marie... for she has grown to be an exquisite rose.

I could go on and on with so many vivid moments and the song I have playing along in my head. Instead, I will mention two final songs... I heard each song, in the same Chapel at Lackland AFB. The first song, I hear many people label as lame. Excuse me! Stand during a Church service with a roomful of Airmen..some completing their first week, others graduating and ready to begin a new chapter of their life...then tell me honestly if "I Believe I Can Fly" is a lame song. To this day, this song brings tears to my eyes, as it did that September day in 1999. My Freeze Frame has me standing next to my 17 year old son; in six short weeks he went from being my boy to a confident and proud man. I honestly remember thinking my knees were going to give out. The emotion in the Chapel was so overwhelming. Now let's fast forward to April, 2008...same Chapel at Lackland, youngest son and different song. As the video of the song "Letters From War" played, once again those MomTears reappeared in full gushing manner. The pride of standing next to my baby...um, er I mean my son, took my breath away. The honor of being among so many young men and women...some terrified, some relieved...so many emotions. Each and every one of them proud to be an Airman! Near the end of the video, the entire room filled with cheers..a moment I will carry forever!

I leave you with tidbits of each song:

I Believe I Can Fly

If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Letters From War

You are good
And you're brave
what a father that you'll be someday
Make it home
Make it safe
Still she kept writing each day

I Believe I Can Fly

Letters From War

8 comments:

Amanda said...

I have just been sitting watching the video "Letters From War" with my 9 year old son who wants to join the army. It's such a beautiful song and i was trying to hide the lump in my throat from him while we watched! LOL!
If you don't mind ~ i would like to add that song to my playlist.

Hugs,
Amanda x

(Andrew enjoyed looking through your blog at all the pictures ~ he is in awe at the picture of your son in his uniform!)

P-S No matter what age or kids are ~ they will always be our babies!

Catie the Greatie said...

I'm the same way with songs and memories! I love both of those songs and I know that one day my family will remember the songs from my graduation with the same love and pride you remember your son's graduation songs. :]

Mary said...

Music most definitely has a big effect on our senses. It can make us laugh, cry, remember when and so much more.

These songs are beautiful and each of them represents a very special moment in the lives of your sons and in your own life. Both bring tears to my eyes when I hear them.

Blessings for a great day.
Mary

Unknown said...

amanda...PLEASE add this magnificent song to your playlist! My son, knew at the age of 8 that he wanted to be an Airman. It is so amazing to watch our children's dreams become their reality!

Unknown said...

catie...you are an awesome young woman, who know doubt fills your mom with the same pride I have for my children!!!!

Unknown said...

mary...your words always make me smile, thank you!

Tonjia said...

I love Letters from war too..

Unknown said...

tonjia...it is a great song (and video)