Sunday, November 28, 2010

...And I Think I'm Struggling???

For almost two weeks, I have been fighting my first Sinus Infection. Ever.
Started out...feeling a bit run down on Tuesday, so I took Sudafed during the day and a shot of NyQuil at night. Thursday, I woke with a burst blood vessel in my eye. Friday, I could barely walk down the steps...but I pulled it together and went to work. Fortunately, a change in the schedule had me off work on Saturday. Saturday morning I woke with my eye literally looking like it was bleeding...so I called the doctor's office (which was closed) then took a ride to a Urgent Care Center. Turns out, I had a blood clot in my eye, and a sinus infection, along with my blood pressure through the roof. Started on antibiotics...called my doctor for a follow up and the name of an opthamologist. I was prescribed a much stronger antibiotic..and went home and slept. For the next three days, I could not stand up for more than ten minutes without feeling like I was going to meet the floor. Equilibrium was totally whacked. Next thing I know it is Thanksgiving...needless to say...a very, very quiet Thanksgiving. Friday...also know as Black Friday...is a tradition my daughters and I have shared since they were teenagers...yep, we were Black Friday Crazy People...before the Craze! I met my daughter and within one hour she was driving me home....so another call to the doctor. Now I am on a high dosage of Prednisone...after three days, it has finally kicked in and I am finally going to try to go to work tomorrow...if only for a little while. I have another follow up with my doctor on Wednesday and an appointment with an opthamologist on Thursday...since this is the 3rd or 4th burst blood vessel in the same eye over the last couple years. As for the high BP, it may have been a combo of Sudafed and NyQuil... or it could be that age is catching up with this not-so-young anymore girl.

So there you go....well..to be honest...this post is more a reminder for me. To remind me how good it feels when I feel well. A reminder of how blessed I am to be able to call a doctor and receive medical treatment. A reminder that there are Soldiers far from home, who suffer illness and must endure their discomfort in a tent. I recovered in my nest...in my bed, on my couch, watching movies and sleeping. I will not take this for granted.

So please take a moment and take a look at this Marine. I don't know him, I have never seen his face before.... but I appreciate him. I will not take him or any of our soldiers for granted.

5 comments:

Mike Golch said...

AirmanMom,no matter how bad we have it there is always someone else that is worse off.

Unknown said...

mike...thank you.

Debbie said...

I agree with Mike. I'm so glad you are starting to heal. Sinus infections can go to the brain and I'm glad you had aggressive treatment from the good doctors!!

Sarge Charlie said...

I am happy you are better mom, no, i will not take any of our soldiers for granted.

Coffeypot said...

It is not politically correct to say Black Friday anymore. You must say African-American Friday.